Transfer Information

Request More Information

Through our petition review process, you can apply to earn credit for the technical knowledge and skills you have gained from your real-world experience, training, certifications, and previous education. In addition, course work from regionally accredited or internationally recognized institutions, or military training and experience, may transfer into UOR’s degree programs.

Earning credit for prior learning through our petition process, national testing program exams, or obtaining transfer credits can shorten the time required to complete your degree and reduce your bottom-line tuition costs.

The University of Riverside encourages enrolling students to apply for transfer credit awards. Students may be asked to submit some or all of the following in order to be granted an award of credit:
Official Transcripts

  • Resume (CV)
  • Licenses/ Diplomas
  • Proof of membership in professional organizations
  • Military records
  • Proof of specialized training
  • Performance evaluations
  • Third-party verification letters
  • Other documents related to skills learned and competencies achieved

Guidelines for Academic Transfer Credit:

  • Credit must be earned at a recognized accredited post-secondary institution
  • Credit must be directly related to the degree program
  • Final Grade of “C” or better
  • Credit must be documented in official transcript

What is Experiential Credit?

Experiential Credit is commonly referred to as Work/Life Experience. It is important to note that the University of Riverside does not award credit for life or work experience. Rather, it is the LEARNING which is derived from the experience which may or may not be worthy of college credit. A student who requests credit for experiential learning must demonstrate that: a) they have acquired specific learning skills; b) how they acquired these skills; c) how these skills can be viewed as equivalent to those gained in a college-level course; and d) proof that these skills were acquired.

What types of learning experiences could qualify a student for Experiential Credit?

  • On-the-job training
  • Military training
  • Volunteer work
  • Conventions and conferences
  • Continuing education courses
  • Teaching a course/ class
  • Hobbies and recreational activities
  • Community/ religious service
  • Personal travel
  • Seminars and workshops
  • Training programs or in-service courses
  • Independent research
  • Awards, publications, or memberships

How do I apply for Experiential Credit?

Students who wish to apply for Experiential Credit are required to submit an electronic portfolio. The electronic portfolio documents and directly relates to the learning experiences for which they are seeking credit. Please check with your academic counselor at the University of Riverside.

Undergraduate Programs: Maximum Allowable Transfer Credits No more than ninety (90) credit hours may be given through transfer of credit or a combination of transfer credit and experiential credit. A maximum of fifteen (15) credit hours of General Education coursework and fifteen (15) credit hours of Core coursework can be satisfied by Experiential Credit in all undergraduate programs.

Graduate Programs: Maximum Allowable Transfer Credits:

No more than eighteen (9) credit hours may be given through transfer of credit or a combination of transfer credit and experiential credit.

Request More Information   Please contact the university if you need additional information.